Renting a car isn’t always a piece of cake, especially if you’re under a certain age.
Unfortunately, most car rental companies have age restrictions because young drivers are often considered a higher risk.
In this article, we’re going to tackle the burning question:
Can you rent a car on Turo at 18?
- 18-year-olds can rent cars on Turo but face limitations like fewer car options and additional fees.
- Turo’s age requirement is generally 21, but 18-year-olds can rent in specific locations in the United States with some restrictions.
- Young drivers on Turo will incur a Young Driver Fee based on the rental cost and location.
- Car selection for 18-year-olds on Turo may exclude high-value, high-performance, or specialty cars due to age-based restrictions.
- Alternatives for young drivers include traditional car rental companies, car-sharing services, and public transportation or ridesharing options.
Turo’s Age Requirements
As a peer-to-peer car rental platform, Turo aims to provide a convenient and accessible service for a wide range of customers. However, certain age restrictions are in place to ensure the safety and reliability of the rental experience.
How Old Do You Have to Be Rent a Car on Turo?
First things first, let’s clear up the age requirement mystery. To rent a car on Turo, you don’t necessarily have to wait until you’re 21 or 25 like other traditional rental companies.
In the United States, the minimum age to rent a car on Turo is typically 21 years old. But luckily for you, there are certain states where Turo permits drivers aged 18 to 20 to rent a car.
Yup, you read that right!
You must be 18 years old to rent a car on Turo. But you do need to meet specific eligibility criteria to be able to do so.
So, before you start high-fiving your buddies, you should know some extra details about renting a car on Turo at 18.
Turo’s exceptions for young drivers
Age might just be a number, but it can affect your wallet when it comes to Turo. Here’s the deal:
- If you’re between 18 and 20, you can only rent from Turo’s “Carculator” selection. These basic rides are perfect for getting from point A to point B. No fancy sports cars, unfortunately.
- Renters aged 21-24 have more options but still face some restrictions on high-performance and luxury vehicles.
- If you’re 25 or older, you’re in the clear! You can rent any car on Turo without limitations.
Now, let’s talk money.
- Young drivers (18-24) must pay a “Young Driver Fee.” This fee varies based on the trip price, and it’s meant to offset the higher risk associated with younger drivers.
Insurance Considerations for Renters Under 25
Insurance is a critical aspect of any car rental experience, and it’s particularly important for young drivers who may face higher risks on the road.
Turo’s insurance policy for young drivers
Turo provides different insurance options for renters to choose from, with varying levels of coverage and protection. These options include:
Renters with their own insurance policy can choose to decline Turo’s coverage. First, however, young drivers should verify that their personal policy extends to rental cars and provides adequate trip coverage.
This option offers minimum liability coverage required by law, with limited protection for physical damage to the rented vehicle. However, this coverage may not be sufficient for young drivers, given the higher risk of accidents and incidents associated with their age group.
This option includes higher liability coverage and physical damage protection for the rented car, with a lower deductible than the basic coverage. This level of coverage may be more suitable for young drivers, as it offers increased protection.
The most comprehensive option available; premium coverage, provides the highest liability protection and physical damage coverage with the lowest deductible. Young drivers who want the best protection should consider this option, as it reduces their financial exposure in case of an accident.
External insurance options for added coverage
In addition to Turo’s insurance options, young renters may want to explore external insurance options for added coverage and peace of mind. Some options to consider include the following:
Personal Auto Insurance
Many personal auto insurance policies extend coverage to rental cars. Young drivers should review their policy to determine if it provides adequate protection for their Turo rental.
Credit Card Rental Insurance
Some credit cards offer rental car insurance as a benefit to cardholders. This coverage may include liability and damage protection, with varying coverage and limitations. Young drivers should contact their credit card companies to understand the specifics of their rental car insurance benefits.
Standalone Rental Car Insurance
Several insurance companies offer standalone rental car insurance policies that provide additional coverage beyond what Turo or personal auto insurance policies may offer. These policies can be purchased per trip and tailored to the renter’s specific needs.
Tips for 18-Year-Olds Renting a Car on Turo
Renting a car on Turo at 18 may be more challenging, but it is not impossible. Here are some tips to keep your head above water:
Rules of the Road (and the Car Owner)
Every car owner on Turo has their own rules, and it’s super important to read and understand them before you book. Here’s why:
- You’ll know what to expect during your trip (like mileage limits or smoking rules).
- It helps you avoid any surprise fees or penalties.
- You’ll be a responsible renter, and car owners will love you for it!
Talk It Out with Car Owners
Communication is key when renting a car on Turo, especially as an 18-year-old. Here are some tips for smooth communication:
- Be polite and friendly. A good first impression goes a long way!
- Share your plans and ask questions if anything needs to be clarified. Car owners appreciate renters who care about their vehicles.
- Keep the car owner updated during your trip, especially if you encounter any issues or changes.
Drive Like a Pro (and Keep Your Rep Spotless)
Driving responsibly isn’t just about staying safe but also maintaining a good reputation on Turo. Here’s how to be a model renter:
- Treat the car like it’s your own. Keep it clean and drive carefully.
- Stick to the speed limits and follow traffic rules. No wild and crazy driving, please!
- Return the car on time and with a full gas tank (if required). Nobody likes a late returner or an empty tank.
In summary, while Turo’s age requirements generally limit rentals to individuals 21 and older, there are exceptions for young drivers at 18, albeit with additional fees.
Understanding the host requirements, insurance considerations, and the importance of responsible driving when renting a car at 18.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can 18-year-olds rent a car on Turo?
Yes, 18-year-olds can rent a car on Turo, but they must meet specific requirements and might face limitations, like fewer car options and additional fees.
What are the age requirements for renting a car on Turo?
The age requirement for renting a car on Turo is generally 21 years old. However, Turo allows 18-year-olds to rent cars in certain locations in the United States, with some restrictions and additional fees.
Are there additional fees for 18-year-olds renting a car on Turo?
Yes, there are additional fees for 18-year-olds renting a car on Turo. In addition, these young drivers will incur a Young Driver Fee, which varies based on the rental cost and location.
What kind of cars can 18-year-olds rent on Turo?
18-year-olds can rent cars on Turo, but they’ll have a more limited selection. Vehicle options for young drivers may exclude high-value, high-performance, or specialty cars due to age-based restrictions set by the car owners.
Nzoputa has been writing for Rentalero since day one and is one of our most experienced members when it comes to the rental industry. For her, nothing beats Uber!